This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We developed a new operative procedure of coracoacromial ligament release for shoulder impingement syndrome. The operative procedure was confirmed by cadaveric studies and applied to clinical cases in 40 shoulders of 37 patients who suffered from shoulder impingement without bony abnormalities. The subacromial space was observed under local anesthesia using the Universal Subcutaneous Endoscope (USE) system on an outpatient basis. A popping phenomenon was observed between the coracoacromial ligament and the greater tuberosity of the humerus, which was covered by the rotator cuff, and the coracoacromial ligament was resected with a rongeur under endoscopic visualization in all shoulders. Resection of the coracoacromial ligament relieved the impingement and clinical signs, as in open or arthroscopic resection of the coracoacromial ligament. Resection of the coracoacromial ligament using the USE system is a safe and less-stressful surgical invasion than open or standard arthroscopic resection of the coracoacromial ligament.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Arthroscopic subacromial decompression. A pre-liminary report.Orthop Trans. 1985; 9: 43
- The arthroscopic treatment of subacromial impingement.in: 4th ed. Seminars Orthop. 3. 1988: 88-92
- Arthroscopic subacromial decompression for impingement syndrome of the shoulder.Techniques Orthop. 1988; 3: 33-39
- Shoulder impingement syndrome in hemodialysis patients.Arthroscopy. 1989; 14: 59-62
- Endoscopic management of carpal tunnel syndrome.Arthroscopy. 1989; 5: 11-18
- Impingement lesions.Clin Orthop. 1983; 173: 70-77
- Anterior acromioplasty for the chronic impingement syndrome in the shoulder.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1972; 54: 41-50
- Impingement syndrome in athletes.Am J Sports Med. 1980; 8: 151-158
- Shoulder impingement syndrome.Clin Orthop. 1982; 168: 128-132
- Shoulder impingement syndrome in athletes and their surgical management.Am J Sports Med. 1981; 9: 11-15
- The role of the coracoacromial ligament in the impingement syndrome.Inter Orthop. 1988; 12: 97-104
- Endoscopic management of shoulder pain in long-term haemodialysis patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1991; 6: 117-119
- Arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow and ankle.in: Charles C. Thomas Publisher, Springfield1986: 29-47
© 1992 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc.