This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Two patients were found to have superior labrum anterior and posterior (SLAP) lesions in association with complete tears of the long head of the biceps. Additional intraarticular pathology (retained biceps stump, loose body, and glenoid chondromalacia) was discovered in one patient. We recommend arthroscopy of the shoulder in two situations associated with rupture of the long head of the biceps: (a) in patients with acute ruptures in which the decision has been made to do a biceps tenodesis; and (b) in patients with persistent longstanding shoulder symptoms following nonoperative management.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Friedman MJ. SLAP lesions of the shoulder.Arthroscopy. 1990; 6: 274-279
- Glenoid labrum tears related to the long head of the biceps.Am J Sports Med. 1985; 13: 337-341
- The role of the biceps-superior glenoid labrum complex in anterior stability of the shoulder.Pittsburgh Orthop Journal. 1990; 1: 57-68
- Isolated rupture of the tendon of the subscapularis muscle.J Bone Joint Surg. 1991; 73B: 389-394
- The shoulder.in: Rockwood CA Matsen III, FA The biceps tendon. 1st ed. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia1990: 824-832
- Rupture of biceps brachii-a conservative method of treatment.J Bone Joint Surg. 1967; 49A: 1016
- Rupture of the tendon of the long head of the biceps brachii.Clin Orthop. 1988; 228: 233-239
- Cuff tears, biceps lesions, and impingement.in: Shoulder reconstruction. 1st ed. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia1990: 91-92
- Lesions of the long head of the biceps tendon.AAOS Instr Course Lect. 1985; 34: 204-209
- The painful shoulder.Postgrad Med. 1957; 21: 368-376
- Surgical anatomy of the rotator cuff and the natural history of degenerative periarthritis.Surg Clin North Am. 1963; 43: 1507-1520
- Anterior acromioplasty for the chronic impingement syndrome in the shoulder.J Bone Joint Surg. 1972; 54A: 41-50
- On the disadvantages of radical acromionectomy.J Bone Joint Surg. 1981; 63A: 416-419
- Impingement lesions.Clin Orthop. 1983; 173: 70-77
- Supraspinatus outlet. Orthop Trans.J Bone Joint Surg. 1987; 11: 234
- Rotator cuff tear. Diagnosis and treatment.Clin Orthop. 1983; 173: 78-91
© 1992 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc.