This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Although fatalities following arthroscopic intervention are rare, complications do occur frequently. This article examines the most common complications, including instrument breakage and nervous lesions due to the tourniquet or positioning on the surgical table, discusses the various intraarticular media, and warns against the use of gas media under certain circumstances. The general surgical complications of thromboembolism, infection, and anesthetic problems are also discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Symposium on arthroscopic knee surgery.in: 2.Aufl. Contemp Orthop. 5. 1982: 79-115
- Arthroscopy—“no-problem surgery”.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1986; 68: 256-265
- Complications de Earthroscopie.in: 1st Congress of the European Society of Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESKA), Berlin1984
- Complications of arthroscopy and arthroscopic surgery: results of a national survey.Arthroscopy. 1985; 1: 214-220
- Complications in arthroscopy: the knee and other joints.Arthroscopy. 1986; 2: 253-258
- Complications in arthroscopic surgery performed by experienced arthroscopists.Arthroscopy. 1988; 4: 215-221
- Injury to the popliteal artery as a complication of arthroscopic surgery.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1987; 69: 783-785
- Arthroscopic meniscus repair.Arthroscopy. 1985; 1: 170-172
- Meniscus repair—open versus arthroscopic.Arthroscopy. 1985; 1: 173-174
- Current concepts review: arthroscopic surgery.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1983; 65: 416-420
- Postmeniscectomy tourniquet palsy and functional sequelae.Am J Sports Med. 1982; 10: 211-214
- Tourniquet-induced nerve ischemia complicating knee ligament surgery.Am J Sports Med. 1980; 8: 98-102
- Hemostatic changes and postoperative deep-vein thrombosis associated with use of a pneumatic tourniquet.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1981; 63: 461-465
- Compartment syndrome complicating arthroscopic surgery: brief report.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1988; 70: 146-147
- Compartment syndrome as a complication of arthroscopy.Am J Sports Med. 1984; 12: 464-468
- Zwei todliche Luftembolien wahrend Akut-Arthroskopie im gasformigen Medium.Arthroskopie. 1988; 1: 90-93
- Complication Committee of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparascopists.J Reprod Med. 1973; 10: 301-306
- Comparison of air, oxygen and carbon dioxide embolization.Ann Surg. 1959; 149: 95-99
- Complications des arthroscopies.J Med Legale. 1986; 29: 147-151
- Thrombophlebitis following knee surgery.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1973; 55: 106-112
- Koller F Duckert F Thrombose und Embolie. Schattauer, Stuttgart1983
- Septic arthritis following arthroscopy, with cost/benefit analysis of antibiotic prophylaxis.Arthroscopy. 1988; 4: 10-14
- Arthroskopische Meniskuschirurgie.Arthroskopie. 1988; 1: 25-37
- Two per cent glutaraldehyde: a disinfectant in arthroscopy and arthroscopic surgery.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1982; 64: 237-239
- Arthroscopic treatment of the septic knee.Arthroscopy. 1986; 2: 30-34
- The septic knee—arthroscopic treatment.Arthroscopy. 1985; 1: 194-197
- Arthroscopy. Lippincott, Philadelphia1977 2.Aufl.
- Hospital-acquired infections after arthroscopic knee surgery: a probable environmental source.Am J Infection Control. 1987; 15: 159-162
- Clostridium pyarthrosis following arthroscopy.Arthroscopy. 1987; 3: 56-58
- Fulminant hospital-acquired toxic shock syndrome.Am J Med. 1984; 77: 331-332
- Komplikationsdichte arztlicher Eingriffe. Fischer, 1983 (Stuttgart) 2.Aufl.
- Lokalanaesthesie und Lokalanaesthetika. Thieme, 1973 (Stuttgart) 2nd ed.
- Complications of arthrography.Radiology. 1985; 155: 605-606
- Klinisches Wo¨rterbuch. W. de Gruyter, Berlin1982 254th Ed.
- Atlas of Arthroscopy. Igaku-Shoin, Tokyo-New York1979 3rd Ed.
- Komplikationen der Arthroskopie.Arch Orthop Traumatol Surg. 1978; 92: 69-73
This article was originally published in German inArthroskopie 1989;2:41-6. Translated with permission.
© 1992 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc.