This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Between January 1984 and April 1989 pieces of already-separated meniscus were lost in the knees of 23 patients as a complication of knee arthroscopy. These patients were asked to complete a questionnaire with regard to their postoperative problems. Despite the fact that some of these pieces were up to 4 cm in length, only 3 patients were dissatisfied with the results and had to undergo arthroscopy once again. When compared with the total number of arthroscopies (2,927) performed in the same period, we found no significant differences in patient ages, accompanying injury patterns, nor the time they were unable to work. These surprisingly excellent results demonstrate that a lost piece of meniscus in the knee space does not always indicate immediate repeat arthroscopy. In most cases, this loose piece probably will adhere to a place inside the knee where it will no longer be a mechanical hindrance.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The failures of arthroscopic partial meniscectomy.Injury. 1985; 16: 587-590
- Arthroscopic partial medial meniscectomy—an analysis of unsatisfactory results.Arthroscopy. 1985; 1: 44-52
- Diagnostische Arthroskopie und arthroskopische Operationen am Kniegelenk. Huber Bern, Stuttgart1987 2nd Ed.
- Arthroskopische Chirurgie des Kniegelenkes.Regensburg und Biermann S. 1985; : 122-135
- 7000 Arthroskopie-Operationen am Kniegelenk—Eine Analyse intra- und postoperativer Komplikationen.in: Henche HH Fortschritte in der Arthroskopie. 5th ed. Enke, Stuttgart1989
- Complications of knee joint arthroscopy.Clin Orthop. 1981; 160: 158
- Komplikationen bei Lokalanasthesie und Gasinsufflation und ihre Beherrschung.in: Henche HH Fortschritte in der Arthroskopie. 5th ed. Enke, Stuttgart1989
- Verlauf und rehabilitation nach ambulanter arthroskopischer Meniskusoperation—Vortrag auf dem Kongreb Societe D'orthopedie et de Traumatologie de l'est de la France.in: Journee Rhenane de la S.O.T.EST.June 25, 1988
- Complications in arthroscopy: the knee and other joints.Arthroscopy. 1986; 4: 253-258
- Complications in arthroscopic surgery performed by experienced arthroscopists.Arthroscopy. 1988; 4: 215-221
This article was originally published in German inArthroskopie 1989;2:152-6. Translated with permission.
© 1992 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc.