This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Sixty anterior cruciate Dacron prosthetic ligaments were placed arthroscopically in 57 patients from 1983 to 1985. Fifty-five of the 57 patients were followed for an average of 4.4 years. The complication rate at 13 months was 29%; at 4.4 years, 43%. There were 34 reoperations. In 16 knees (28%) the prosthesis had to be removed due to abrasion and arthritis with rupture of the prosthesis. Thirteen knees had chronic synovitis and one knee had bacterial infection, all of which were managed with arthroscopic debridement. Four knees required removal of the extraarticular staple. Clinical testing in 42 knees with the Dacron prosthesis still in place showed the Lysholm score improved from a preoperative score of 43 points to a score of 82 points after 5 years. Of the knees, 58% had a pivot shift of 2+−3+: a trace pivot shift in 30%; a negative pivot shift in only 12%. The KT-1000 arthrometer verified those pivot shifts. The results of this study are discouraging. The procedure was complicated by a high reoperation rate, usually secondary to arthritis. The impression was that although stability of the knee was improved by use of an artificial anterior cruciate ligament, the end result of the therapeutic procedure was the development of an iatrogenic model of degenerative arthritis in the human knee.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Substitution of the anterior cruciate ligament: a long-term histology and biomechanical study with autogenous pedicled grafts of the iliotibial band in dogs.Arthroscopy. 1986; 2: 139-154
- Die arthroskopische vordere Kreuzbandplastik mit Dacron.Therapie-woche. 1984; : 1905-1912
- Technique, complications and results of arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with bioprosthetic ligament.in: International Arthroscopy Center International Symposium, New YorkNovember 20, 1986
- Die Technique der arthroskopischen Kreuzbandplastik mit dem PTFE-band.Fortschr Arthroskopie (Stuttgart). 1985; : 226-230
- Arthroskopische Ersatzoperation des Vorderen Kreuzbandes.Fortschr Arthroskopie (Stuttgart). 1985; : 238-240
- Die arthroskopische vordere Kreuzbandplastik mit Dacron und Lyodura in “over the top” Technik.Fortschr Arthroskopie (Stuttgart). 1985; : 167-171
- Gore-Tex prosthetic ligament in anterior cruciate deficient knees.Am J Sports Med. 1988; 16: 321-326
- Anterior cruciate reconstruction in the chronically unstable knee using an expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) prosthetic ligament.Am J Sports Med. 1987; 14: 326-330
- Gore-Tex anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Techniques Orthop. 1988; 2: 36-43
- Early experience with the Gore-Tex Polytetrafluoroethylene anterior cruciate ligament prosthesis.Am J Sports Med. 1989; 17: 55-62
- Arthroscopic “second look” at the Gore-Tex ligament.Am J Sports Med. 1989; 17: 147-153
- The Stryker Dacron ligament in chronic anterior cruciate ligament tears [abstract].Am J Sports Med. 1989; 17: 723
- The prosthetic anterior cruciate ligament replacement.Semin Orthop. 1987; 12: 44-50
- Arthroskopisch-chirurgische Bandplastik im Kniegelenkbereich [English abstract].Orthopade. 1987; 16: 157-167
- Follow up on 58 cases with Stryker-Meadox ligament prosthesis.in: 5th International Symposium. Advances in Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction of the knee: Prosthetic vs. Autogenous, Palm Springs1988: 155-164
- A multicenter study on the results of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using a Dacron ligament prosthesis in “salvage” cases.Am J Sports Med. 1989; 17: 380-386
- Discussion of Lukianov AV, Richmond JC, Barrett GR, Gillquist J. A multicenter study on the results of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using a Dacron ligament prosthesis in “salvage” cases.Am J Sports Med. 1989; 17: 385-386
- Comparison of arthroscopic and open techniques in carbon fibre reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament: long-term follow-up after 5 years.Arthroscopy. 1987; 3: 106-110
- Surgical technique for correction of chronic anterior cruciate ligament deficiency with bovine xenografts.Xenotech Clinical Report. 1986; 6: 1-7
- Properties and clinical applications of bioprosthetic tendons and ligaments.Contemp Orthop. 1986; 12: 15-21
- Synovial reaction associated with disruption of polypropylene braid-augmented intraarticular anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. A case report.Am J Sports Med. 1988; 16: 301-305
- Clinical study on ACL reconstruction with the Leeds-Keio artificial ligament.in: 5th Symposium on Advances in Knee Ligament Reconstruction, Palm Springs1988: 177-192
- Reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament with carbon fiber. An experimental study on pigs.Am J Sports Med. 1988; 19: 589-593
- The biochemical and histological effects of artificial ligament wear particles: in vitro and in vivo studies.Am J Sports Med. 1988; 16: 558-569
- Synovitis after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Effusion: confusion.in: Abstracts International Arthroscopy Center, International Symposium, New YorkNovember 20, 1986
- Experimental mechanical and histologic evaluation of the Kennedy ligament augmentation device.Clin Orthop. 1985; 196: 186-195
© 1992 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc.