To determine 2-year functional outcomes using an all-inside quadrupled semitendinosus anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction technique in male and female patients.
A total of 100 patients who underwent quadrupled semitendinosus all-inside hamstring ACL reconstruction by a single surgeon were enrolled. Patient-reported outcome scores collected preoperatively and postoperatively included visual analog scale, Veterans Rand 12-Item Health Survey (VR-12; Physical and Mental), Marx Activity Scale, Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Scores (KOOS), and Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC).
A total of 100 ACL reconstructions comprising 62 female, and 38 male patients were included in this study. Mean graft diameter was 9.4 mm in female and 9.8 mm in male patients (range, 9-11). Outcome scores demonstrated improvement from preoperative to 2-year postoperative respectively: visual analog scale pain 3.18, 1.07, VR-12 physical 36.35, 52.64, VR-12 mental 53.96, 54.65, KOOS pain 59.17, 89.03, KOOS symptoms 52.64, 80.79, KOOS Activities of Daily Living 69.38, 95.4, KOOS Sport 28.97, 81.25, KOOS Quality of Life 27.54, 71.56, WOMAC Pain 71.56, 92.65, WOMAC Stiffness 60.55, 84.13, and WOMAC Function 69.38, 95.4. Marx activity score decreased from baseline (10.98) to 2 years’ postoperatively (8.75). At 2 years, patient expectations were met or exceeded with regards to pain (94%), motion and strength (91%), normal function of daily living (95%), and return to sport (79%).
Anatomic all-inside quadrupled semitendinosus ACL reconstruction improves functional outcomes similarly to previous studies between baseline and clinical follow-up at 1-year and 2-years postoperatively and is comparable in both male and female patients.
Level of Evidence
Level III, retrospective comparative study.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in young female athletes: Patellar versus hamstring tendon autografts.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 2086-2092
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with hamstring autograft: A matched cohort comparison of the all-inside and complete tibial tunnel techniques.Orthop J Sports Med. 2019; 7 (2325967118820297)
- Risk factors and predictors of subsequent ACL injury in either knee after ACL reconstruction: Prospective analysis of 2488 primary ACL reconstructions from the MOON Cohort.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 1583-1590
- Is anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction effective in preventing secondary meniscal tears and osteoarthritis?.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 1699-1707
- Clinical and functional outcome of all-inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction at a minimum of 2 years' follow-up.Arthroscopy. 2016; 32: 332-337
- Femoral and tibial graft tunnel parameters after transtibial, anteromedial portal, and outside-in single-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 2250-2258
- Pain evaluation after all-inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and short term functional results of a prospective randomized study.Knee. 2014; 21: 102-106
- Change in anterior cruciate ligament graft choice and outcomes over time.Arthroscopy. 2017; 33: 2007-2014
- Impact of hamstring graft diameter on tendon strength: A biomechanical study.Arthroscopy. 2015; 31: 1084-1090
- Graft size and patient age are predictors of early revision after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with hamstring autograft.Arthroscopy. 2012; 28: 526-531
- Factors predicting hamstring tendon autograft diameters and resulting failure rates after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013; 21: 1111-1118
- Quadrupled hamstring graft strength as a function of clinical sizing.Arthroscopy. 2015; 31: 1091-1096
- All-Inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction as a salvage for small or attenuated hamstring grafts.Arthrosc Tech. 2018; 7: e453-e457
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in high school and college-aged athletes: Does autograft choice influence anterior cruciate ligament revision rates?.Am J Sports Med. 2020; 48: 298-309
- A 10-year comparison of anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions with hamstring tendon and patellar tendon autograft: A controlled, prospective trial.Am J Sports Med. 2007; 35: 564-574
- All-inside quadrupled semitendinosus autograft shows stability equivalent to patellar tendon autograft anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: Randomized controlled trial in athletes 24 years or younger.Arthroscopy. 2020; 36: 1629-1646
- Long-term outcomes in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A systematic review of patellar tendon versus hamstring autografts.Orthop J Sports Med. 2017; 5 (2325967117709735)
- Knee function and prevalence of knee osteoarthritis after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A prospective study with 10 to 15 years of follow-up.Am J Sports Med. 2010; 38: 2201-2210
- Sex, age, and graft size as predictors of ACL re-tear: A multivariate logistic regression of a cohort of 503 athletes.Orthop J Sports Med. 2016; 4 (2325967116S00164)
- Incidence of second ACL injuries 2 years after primary ACL reconstruction and return to sport.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1567-1573
- Expectations for return to preinjury sport before and after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 578-583
- Anterior cruciate ligament injuries in female athletes: Part 1, mechanisms and risk factors.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 299-311
- Use of the 5-strand hamstring autograft technique in increasing graft size in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 2633-2640
- Applications of methodologies of the Veterans Health Study in the VA healthcare system: Conclusions and summary.J Ambul Care Manage. 2006; 29: 182-188
- Development and evaluation of an activity rating scale for disorders of the knee.Am J Sports Med. 2001; 29: 213-218
- Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS)—validation and comparison to the WOMAC in total knee replacement.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2003; 1: 17
- Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS)—development of a self-administered outcome measure.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998; 28: 88-96
- The Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS): From joint injury to osteoarthritis.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2003; 1: 64
- WOMAC: A 20-year experiential review of a patient-centered self-reported health status questionnaire.J Rheumatol. 2002; 29: 2473-2476
- Pain assessment in osteoarthritis: Experience with the WOMAC osteoarthritis index.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1989; 18: 14-17
- Knee injury outcomes measures.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009; 17: 31-39
- Knee sports injury outcome measures.J Knee Surg. 2005; 18: 69-72
- Predicting quadrupled graft length and diameter using single-strand tendon dimensions in all-inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 243-250
- Clinical outcomes of anatomic, all-inside, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction.Knee. 2017; 24: 55-62
- Predictors of activity level 2 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR): A Multicenter Orthopaedic Outcomes Network (MOON) ACLR cohort study.Am J Sports Med. 2010; 38: 2040-2050
- Survival comparison of allograft and autograft anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction at the United States Military Academy.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 1242-1246
- The effect of autologous hamstring graft diameter on the likelihood for revision of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 1475-1481
- Hamstring autograft size can be predicted and is a potential risk factor for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction failure.Arthroscopy. 2014; 30: 882-890
- Allograft augmentation of hamstring autograft in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction results in equivalent outcomes to autograft alone.Arthroscopy. 2021; 37: 173-182.e2
- Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part I.Am J Sports Med. 2005; 33: 1579-1602
- Rates and determinants of return to play after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I soccer athletes: A study of the Southeastern Conference.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 433-439
- Risk factors associated with revision and contralateral anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions in the Kaiser Permanente ACLR registry.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 641-647
Published online: April 19, 2021
Accepted: March 23, 2021
Received: September 23, 2020See commentary on page 3149
The authors report the following potential conflicts of interest or sources of funding: J.E.C. reports personal fees from Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, outside the submitted work. Full ICMJE author disclosure forms are available for this article online, as supplementary material.
© 2021 by the Arthroscopy Association of North America