Intra-articular lipoma is an exceedingly rare diagnosis. There have been less than 15 documented cases of an intra-articular lipoma of the knee joint. This report presents the first description of an intra-articular knee lipoma treated entirely by arthroscopic methods. Preoperative history, examination, and imaging studies are reviewed. Intraoperative findings, treatment, and postoperative evaluation are discussed as well. Symptomatic intra-articular lipoma of the knee joint can be successfully treated by arthroscopic resection. Differentiating intra-articular lipoma from lipoma arborescens, a similar but more common condition, is important with regards to optimal treatment.
Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Vol 17, No 5 (May-June), 2001: pp 539–541
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Size, site and clinical incidence of lipoma. Factors in the different diagnosis of lipoma and sarcoma.Acta Orthop Scand. 1983; 54: 929-934
- Unusual arthroscopic knee lesions: Case report of an intra-articular lipoma.J Natl Med Assoc. 1993; 85: 697-699
- An unusual case of extraarticular lipoma of the knee joint.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1996; 4: 164-166
- Benign synovial tumors of the knee: A diagnostic problem.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1966; 48: 1350-1358
- Tumors and tumorous conditions of the bones and joints.: Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1958
- Intraarticular lipoma with osseous metaplasia: Radiographic, pathologic correlation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1979; 132: 471-473
- Intra-articular lipoma of the hip. A case report.Int Orthop. 1998; 22: 328-329
- Arthroscopic treatment for lipoma arborescens of the knee: A case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80: 99-103
- Villous lipomatous proliferation of the synovial membrane (lipoma aborescens).J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1988; 70: 264-270
- The arthroscopic appearance of lipoma arborescens of the knee.Arthroscopy. 1995; 11: 623-627
*Address correspondence and reprint requests to Adam Bernstein, M.D., Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Joint Diseases, 301 East 17th St, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10003, U.S.A. E-mail: [email protected]
© 2001 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.