The lateral collateral ligament is the primary stabilizer against varus stress and is also an important contributor in maintaining posterolateral knee stability. Quadriceps tendon–patellar bone autograft has been used for anterior or posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. We introduce a reconstructive procedure to restore the lateral collateral ligament using a quadriceps tendon–patellar bone autograft. The procedure is designed for unstable knees with concomitant cruciate ligament tear and posterolateral complex injury. This is a reasonable choice especially when allograft tissue is not available or in patients who are not suited for the use of bone–patellar tendon–bone autograft.
Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Vol 17, No 5 (May-June), 2001: pp 551–554
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The structure of the posterolateral aspect of the knee.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982; 64: 536-541
- The role of the popliteofibular ligament in stability of the human knee. A biomechanical study.Am J Sports Med. 1996; 24: 19-27
- The role of the posterolateral and cruciate ligaments in the stability of the human knee. A biomechanical study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987; 69: 233-242
- Chronic posterolateral rotatory instability of the knee.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1985; 67: 351-359
- Posterolateral reconstruction for rotatory instability of the knee.Video J Orthop. 1992; 7: 3
- Biceps tendon tenodesis for posterolateral instability of the knee. An in vitro study.Am J Sports Med. 1993; 21: 400-406
- Surgical restoration of severe chronic posterolateral complex injuries of the knee using allograft tissues.Am J Sports Med. 1995; 23: 2-12
- Surgical restoration to treat chronic deficiency of the posterolateral complex and cruciate ligaments of the knee joint.Am J Sports Med. 1996; 24: 415-426
- Reconstruction of the lateral collateral ligament of the knee with patellar tendon allograft. Report of a new technique in combined ligament injuries.Am J Sports Med. 1998; 26: 656-662
- An alternative cruciate reconstruction graft: The central quadriceps tendon.Arthroscopy. 1995; 11: 252-254
- The quadriceps tendon-patellar bone construct for ACL reconstruction.Sports Med Arthrosc Rev. 1997; 5: 59-67
- Arthroscopic posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with quadriceps tendon–patellar bone autograft.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1999; 119: 86-88
- Arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with quadriceps tendon-patellar bone autograft.J Trauma. 1999; 46: 678-682
- Quadriceps tendon and patellar ligament: cryosectional anatomy and structural properties in young adults.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1996; 4: 100-110
- Central quadriceps tendon for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Part I: Morphometric and biomechanical evaluation.Am J Sports Med. 1997; 25: 23-28
*Address correspondence and reprint requests to Chih-Hwa Chen, M.D., Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu-Hsin St, Kweishan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan. E-mail: [email protected]
© 2001 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.