At present, no single graft option clearly outperforms another. Autografts (patellar tendon, hamstring) and allografts (Achilles tendon, patellar tendon) are the grafts most often used. However, each grafts has advantages and disadvantages. Quadriceps tendon graft for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction is not new, but an alternative composite graft is introduced here that consists of quadriceps tendon–patellar bone and bone obtained from a coring reamer used to create the tibial tunnel. This composite graft retains reduced morbidity while allowing the secure bone-to-bone fixation associated with bone–patellar tendon–bone graft.
Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Vol 17, No 5 (May-June), 2001: pp 546–550
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Die zwiez 252 ügelige Ersatzplastik des vorderen Kreuzbandes aus der Quadricepssehne.Unfallheikunde. 1984; 87: 45-51
- Evaluation of knee ligament injuries with IKDC form.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1993; 1: 226-234
- Quadriceps tendon and patellar ligament: Cryosectional anatomy and structural properties in young adults.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1996; 4: 100-110
- Central quadriceps tendon for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, Part I: Morphometric and biomechanical evaluation.Am J Sports Med. 1997; 25: 23-28
- The quadriceps tendon–patellar bone construct for ACL reconstruction.Sports Med Arthroscopy Rev. 1997; 5: 59-67
- An alternative cruciate reconstruction graft: The central quadriceps tendon.Arthroscopy. 1995; 11: 252-254
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using quadriceps patellar tendon graft, Part I: Long-term follow-up.Am J Sports Med. 1991; 19: 447-457
- Tendon healing in a bone tunnel.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993; 75: 1795-1803
- Substitution of the anterior cruciate ligament: A long-term histologic and biomechanical study with autogenous pedicled grafts of the iliotibial band in dogs.Arthroscopy. 1986; 2: 139-154
- Isometry testing for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction revisited.Arthroscopy. 1995; 11: 647-659
- The effect of anterior cruciate ligament graft fixation site at the tibia on knee stability: Evaluation using a robotic testing system.Arthroscopy. 1997; 13: 177-182
- Triple Semitendinosus-cancellous bone anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with bioscrew fixation.Arthroscopy. 1999; 4: 360-367
*Address correspondence and reprint requests to Sung-Jae Kim, M.D., Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Arthroscopic Surgery Unit, Yonsei University College of Medicine, COP Box 8044, 134 Shinchon-dong, Seodaemoon-Ku, Seoul, 120-752, Korea.
© 2001 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.