We report 10 years’ experience in arthroscopic treatment of pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS) of the knee in a series of patients affected by the localized or diffuse form of the disease. The purpose of the study is to critically examine the results of arthroscopic synovectomy in the knee affected by PVNS, to determine the safety and effectiveness of the procedure.
Type of Study:
Retrospective case analysis.
The study population consists of 19 patients, with an average follow-up of 60 months (minimum, 12; maximum, 128). All patients underwent knee arthroscopy. The 3 standard portals were used; posteromedial and posterolateral portals were added if required. Four patients were affected by localized PVNS and were subject to partial synovectomy with excision of the pathologic tissue. The remaining 15 patients presented a diffuse form of PVNS; 7 of them underwent extended arthroscopic synovectomy and 8 underwent partial synovectomy. The diagnosis was confirmed by synovial biopsy.
In the group affected by the localized form of PVNS, the arthroscopic local excision resulted in a complete and persistent regression of the pathology. Among the patients affected by the diffuse form of PVNS, clinical results were better and the recurrence rate was lower in the group treated with extended synovectomy. No relevant complications were encountered. In particular, no cases of infection, stiffness, or neurovascular lesions were seen.
Arthroscopic synovectomy is an appropriate treatment for knee PVNS. Extended synovectomy must be performed in all cases of diffuse PVNS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sinovite villo-nodulare pigmentosa dell’anca. Contributo casistico.Min Orthop Traumat. 1993; 44: 25-29
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the shoulder.Am J Roentgenol. 1984; 143: 886-888
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis and tenosynovitis.Medicine. 1980; 59: 223-228
- Arthroscopic treatment of pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.Arthroscopy. 1999; 15: 613-617
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992; 74: 119-123
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987; 69: 942-949
- Synovite villonodulaire.in: Encycl Med Chir. Radiodiagnostic-Neuroradiologie-Appareil Locomoteur. Edition Techniques, Paris1992 (31370A 10)
- Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis.Arthroscopy. 1997; 13: 309-312
- Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation and arthroscopic resection of localized pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.Orthopedics. 2000; 23: 367-369
- Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee mimicking meniscal injury.Arthroscopy. 1986; 2: 217-221
- Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis presenting as a lateral meniscal bucket handle tear.Arthroscopy. 1994; 10: 309-312
- Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis presenting as a loose body in the knee.Arthroscopy. 1993; 9: 596-598
- Sinovite villonodulare pigmentosa del ginocchio. Studio integrato radiologico e riscontro chirurgico. Presentazione di un caso.Radiat Med. 1997; 94: 527-529
- Sinovite pigmentosa villonodulare del ginocchio.Radiat Med. 1998; 96: 100-102
- Guida logica alla interpretazione mediante imaging delle tumefazioni articolari e paraarticolari.in: Pistolesi G.F. Bergamo Andreis I.A. L’imaging delle articolazioni. Gnocchi, Napoli1994: 160-162
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis.Radiology. 1987; 163: 551-553
- Magnetic resonance imaging of pigmented villonodular synovitis.Skeletal Radiol. 1987; 16: 316-319
- The knee.in: Stoller D.W. Magnetic resonance imaging in orthopaedics and sports medicine. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia1997: 349-398
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis presenting as a popliteal cyst.Isr J Med Sci. 1980; 16: 735-738
- Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee. Report of five cases.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1967; 49: 122-128
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the joints.Clin Orthop. 1982; 163: 159-166
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.Arthroscopy. 1989; 5: 62-64
- Surgical treatment of diffuse pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1994; 300: 183-192
- Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.Arthroscopy. 1998; 14: 764-768
- Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.Arthroscopy. 1998; 14: 532-536
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis (giant-cell tumor of the tendon sheath and synovial membrane).J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984; 66: 76-94
- The diagnosis and treatment of pigmented villonodular synovitis.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1968; 50: 290-305
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis.Clin Orthop. 1989; 247: 243-255
- Combined partial arthroscopic synovectomy and radiation therapy for diffuse pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee.Arthroscopy. 2001; 17: 527-531
- Arthroscopic treatment of popliteal cyst and associated intra-articular knee disorders in adults.Arthroscopy. 1999; 15: 368-372
© 2003 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.