Treatment options for chondral and osteochondral defects of the patella have been few and results have been inconsistent at best. Autologous osteochondral transplantation presents a new way to revisit these patellar defects. We report the case of a young female softball player with a simple cyst in the patella and an osteochondral defect that serves as the indication for autograft osteochondral transplantation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Patellofemoral stresses during open and closed kinetic chain exercises.Am J Sports Med. 2001; 29: 480-487
- Applied biomechanics of the patella.Clin Orthop. 2001; 389: 9-14
- Patellofemoral contact pressures. The influence of Q-angle and tendofemoral contact.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984; 66: 715-724
- Arthroscopic abrasion arthroplasty historical and pathologic perspective.Arthroscopy. 1986; 2: 54-69
- Microfracture technique for full-thickness chondral defects.Oper Tech Orthop. 1997; 7: 300-307
- A method of resurfacing osteoarthritic knee joints.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1959; 41: 618-619
- The use of a lateral patellar autologous graft for the repair of a large osteochondral defect in the knee.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995; 77: 65-72
- The transplantation of an autogenic osteochondral fragment for osteochondritis dissecans of the knee.Clin Orthop. 1985; 201: 43-50
- Autologous osteochondral mosaicplasty for the treatment of full-thickness defects of weight-bearing joints.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85: 25-32
- Autologous chondrocyte transplantation and osteochondral cylinder transplantation in cartilage repair of the knee joint, a prospective, comparative trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85: 185-192
- Osteochondral allograft transplantation.Clin Sports Med. 1999; 18: 67-75
- Articular cartilage injuries.Clin Orthop. 2002; 402: 21-37
- Biologic resurfacing of the patella.Clin Sports Med. 2002; 21: 547-573
- Autologous osteochondral transplantation using the diamond bone-cutting system (DBCS).Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2001; 121: 248-253
- The effect of graft height mismatch on contact pressure following osteochondral grafting.Am J Sports Med. 2004; 32: 317-320
- Restoration of injured or degenerated articular cartilage.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1994; 2: 192-201
- The resurfacing of adult rabbit articular cartilage by multiple perforations through the subchondral bone.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976; 58: 230-233
- Operative behandlung der osteochondrosis dissecans des Kniegelenkes.Z Orthop. 1964; 98: 333-355
- Ganglion cysts of the lower extremity.Orthopedics. 1998; 21: 141-148
Cite this article as: Lu AP, Hame SL. Autologous osteochondral transplantation for simple cyst in the patella. Arthroscopy 2005;21:1008.e1-1008.e4 [doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2005.04.101].
© 2005 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.