Cyanoacrylate glue was invented by Ardis in 1949 and was first used in surgery in 1959 by Coover. By further modifications, a nonhistotoxic form, butyl-2-cyanoacrylate, which had strong tissue binding properties even in nondry environments, was developed. Its use in the fixation of fractures and osteotomies is still under investigation and has had promising results in treatment of craniofacial and mandibular injuries. We fixed a talar osteochondral fracture with cyanoacrylate. After 3 months, magnetic resonance imaging showed an anatomically reduced and intact chondral surface. The clinical result was excellent. We believe cyanoacrylate glue may form an alternative means of fixation for osteochondral and, possibly, for chondral fractures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fixation of the craniofacial skeleton with butyl-2-cyanoacrylate and its effects on histotoxicity and healing.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 102: 309-318
- Cyanoacrylate fixation of the craniofacial skeleton.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995; 95: 639-646
- Butyl-2-cyanoacrylate fixation of mandibular osteotomies.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 102: 319-324
- Craniofacial skeletal fixation using biodegradable plates and cyanoacrylate glue.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 1508-1515
- Biomechanical evaluation of titanium, biodegradable plate and screw, and cyanoacrylate glue fixation systems in craniofacial surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 101: 582-591
- Use of cyanoacrylate in facial bone fractures.J Craniofac Surg. 1997; 8: 229-234
Cite this article as: Yilmaz C, Kuyurtar F. Fixation of a talar osteochondral fracture with cyanoacrylate glue. Arthroscopy 2005;21:1009.e1-1009.e3 [doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2005.05.029].
© 2005 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.