We report a novel drilling device for anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction that has been developed. We invented a special inside-to-out drill bit that can make a bone socket in an inside-to-out fashion. A blade at the tip of a 4.5-mm diameter drill bit closes when the drill bit is in orthograde rotation, but the blade opens when the drill bit is in reverse rotation. The special drill bit is introduced into the joint through a 4.5-mm diameter bone tunnel rotating the bit in the orthograde direction. Then the drill bit is switched to reverse rotation and is pulled backward so that it bores the bone from the inside out. We have used this special drill bit in treating 31 ACL-injured knees and have experienced no problems or complications with the procedure.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A prospective evaluation of tunnel enlargement in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with hamstrings.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2002; 10: 80-85
- Bone tunnel enlargement after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with the hamstring autograft and EndoButton fixation technique. A clinical, radiographic and magnetic resonance imaging study with 2 years follow-up.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1999; 7: 290-295
- Tunnel expansion after hamstring anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with 1-incision EndoButton femoral fixation.Arthroscopy. 2000; 16: 707-714
- Bone tunnel enlargement following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2001; 9: 86-91
- Evaluation of tibial bone tunnel enlargement using MRI scan cross-sectional area measurement after autologous hamstring tendon ACL replacement.Knee. 2003; 10: 87-91
- All-inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using semitendinosus tendon and soft threaded biodegradable interference screw fixation.Arthroscopy. 1997; 13: 773-779
- Anatomic tibial graft fixation using a retrograde bio-interference screw for endoscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Arthroscopy. 2002; 18 (available online at www.arthroscopyjournal.org): E38
- A new endoscopic ACL reconstruction with socket into femur and tibia.J Jpn Knee Soc. 2001; 25: 158-161
Cite this article as: Kim S-G, Kurosawa H, Sakuraba K, Ikeda H, Takazawa S, Takazawa Y. Development and application of an inside-to-out drill bit for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy 2005;21:1012.e1-1012.e4 [doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2005.05.032].
© 2005 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.