The purpose of this study was to evaluate the results of revision arthroscopic stabilization after failed open anterior shoulder stabilization.
We studied a retrospective series of 22 consecutive patients with recurrent anterior shoulder instability after open surgical stabilization (12 Latarjet procedures, 4 Eden-Hybinette procedures, 3 open Bankart repairs, and 3 capsular shifts). Failure was associated with a traumatic episode in 12 patients, capsular laxity with persistent Bankart lesions in all patients, and a bone block complication in 13 patients. Labral reattachment and capsuloligamentous retensioning with suture anchors were performed in all cases. An additional rotator interval closure was performed in 4 cases and an inferior capsular application in 12. Bone block screws were removed during arthroscopy in 8 patients because of malpositioning or mobility. Nineteen patients were evaluated at a mean follow-up of 43 months.
All patients returned to their previous occupations, including 6 cases of work-related injury. Of the patients, 1 (5%) had recurrent subluxation and 2 (11%) had persistent apprehension. The subjective shoulder value was 83% ± 23%. A good or excellent result was found in 85% of patients according to the Walch-Duplay score and 13 patients (67%) according to the Rowe score. Shoulder pain was found in 6 patients (32%) (4 with light pain and 2 with moderate pain). Of the 5 patients with osteoarthritis before surgery, 3 progressed by 1 stage.
Arthroscopic revision of failed open anterior shoulder stabilization provides satisfactory results in a selected patient population. Some persistent pain and osteoarthritis progression remain concerns. The main advantages of the arthroscopic approach are the avoidance of anterior dissection in front of the subscapularis, which places the axillary nerve at risk, and the ability to address the various soft-tissue pathologies encountered.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic case series.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anterior shoulder instability: The role and contribution of arthroscopy.in: Cahiers d'enseignement de la Sofcot, conférences d'enseignement. SOFCOT, Paris, France2002: 77-112 (in French)
- Complications of instability surgery.in: Iannotti J.P. Williams Jr, G.R. Disorders of the shoulder. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2007: 476-492
- Failed anterior reconstruction for shoulder instability.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1985; 67: 709-714
- Arthroscopic revision Bankart repair: A prospective outcome study.Arthroscopy. 2002; 18: 469-482
- Open revision stabilization surgery for recurrent anterior glenohumeral instability.Am J Sports Med. 2000; 28: 156-160
- Results and factors affecting outcome of revision surgery for shoulder instability.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005; 14: 31-37
- Postoperative recurrence: Results of surgical revisions.Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2000; 86 (in French): 137-147
- Recurrent anterior dislocation of the shoulder after surgical repair: Apparent causes of failure and treatment.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984; 66: 159-168
- Reasons for failure after surgical repair of anterior shoulder instability.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2004; 13: 279-285
- Arthroscopic revision Bankart repair for failed open and arthroscopic repairs.Arthroscopy. 2005; 21 (abstr): S1
- Anterior recurrent luxation of the shoulder.Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1986; 72 (in French): 541-555
- Revision shoulder stabilization: 2- to 10-year results.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1999; 8: 58-65
- The effectiveness of arthroscopic stabilisation for failed open shoulder instability surgery.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 745-750
- Recurrent anterior and multidirectional instability of the shoulder.Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1995; 81 (in French): 682-690
- Anterior instability and hyperlaxity of the shoulder.Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2000; 86 (in French): 132-137
- The hyperabduction test.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2001; 83: 69-74
- Dislocation arthropathy of the shoulder.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1983; 65: 456-460
- Long term results of the Latarjet procedure for the treatment of anterior instability of the shoulder.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80: 841-852
- Fatty muscle degeneration in cuff ruptures.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994; : 78-83
- The TOTS (temporary outside traction suture): A new technique to allow easy suture placement and improve capsular shift in arthroscopic Bankart repair.Arthroscopy. 2003; 19: 672-677
- Comparison of the subjective shoulder score and the Constant score.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007; 16: 717-721
- Recurrent anterior shoulder instability.Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1991; 77 (in French): 177-191
- Integrated scoring systems for the functional assessment of the shoulder.in: Matsen III, F.A. Fu F.H. Hawkins R.J. The shoulder: A balance of mobility and stability. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL1993: 531-550
- Structural integrity and clinical function of the subscapularis musculotendinous unit after arthroscopic and open shoulder stabilization.Am J Sports Med. 2007; 35: 1153-1161
- Risk factors for recurrence of shoulder instability after arthroscopic Bankart repair.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 1755-1763
- Latarjet-Bristow procedure for recurrent anterior instability.Tech Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2000; 1: 256-261
- Arthroscopic revision Bankart repair for failed anterior shoulder instability.Tech Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002; 3: 292-298
- Arthroscopic evaluation of lesions in recurrent anterior instability of the shoulder.in: Perspectives en arthroscopie. Springer-Verlag, Berlin2002: 180-183 (in French)
- Long-term results of anterior coracoid abutments: Apropos of 52 cases with homogenous 12-year follow-up.Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2000; 86 (in French): 114-121
- Complications of a failed Bristow procedure and their management.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991; 73: 969-981
- Glenohumeral arthrosis in anterior instability before and after surgical treatment: Incidence and contributing factors.Am J Sports Med. 2004; 32: 1165-1172
- Is arthroscopic surgery for stabilisation of chronic shoulder instability as effective as open surgery?.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007; 89: 1188-1196
- Anterior shoulder reconstruction prognostic variables.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 10: 508-513
- Traumatic glenohumeral bone defects and their relationship to failure of arthroscopic Bankart repairs: Significance of the inverted-pear glenoid and the humeral engaging Hill-Sachs lesion.Arthroscopy. 2000; 16: 677-694
Published online: September 07, 2009
Accepted: April 17, 2009
Received: October 24, 2008
The authors report no conflict of interest.
© 2009 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.