We evaluated clinical outcomes after hip arthroscopy in patients with primary synovial chondromatosis (SC).
We retrospectively assessed 11 patients who underwent hip arthroscopy for primary SC at a mean follow-up of 22 months (range, 12 to 36 months). Clinical preoperative and postoperative evaluation was performed with the Harris hip score. The preoperative evaluation included plain radiographs and magnetic resonance (MR) scanning to detect number and positioning of intra-articular radiopaque loose bodies. The osteochondral damage was graded using the Kellgren-Lawrence classification. The chondral surfaces of both the acetabulum and femoral head were graded according to the Outerbridge scale.
The clinical score improved postoperatively. There were statistically significant differences between preoperative and postoperative Harris hip scores (P < .05). Outcomes were rated as very satisfactory and satisfactory in 3 and 5 of 11 patients, respectively. The osteochondral damage ranged between stages 1 and 2. No complications related to surgical procedures were observed.
Hip arthroscopy for the treatment of patients with primary SC showed good clinical results without any complications related to the surgical procedure.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic case series.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Osteochondromatosis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1949; 31A: 619-627
- Arthroscopy in primary synovial chondromatosis of the hip: Description and outcome of treatment.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 314-318
- Hip arthroscopy: State of the art.Br Med Bull. 2010; 96: 131-157
- Imaging of synovial chondromatosis with radiologic-pathologic correlation.Radiographics. 2007; 27: 1465-1488
- Synovial chondromatosis.Orthopade. 2009; 38 (in German): 511-519
- Synovial osteochondromatosis: A histopathological study of thirty cases.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1977; 59: 792-801
- Posterior fracture-dislocations of the hip: Comparison of open and closed methods of treatment in certain types.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1961; 43A: 1079-1098
- Posterior fracture-dislocations of the hip: Long-term follow-up.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1974; 56A: 1103-1127
- Operative treatment of primary synovial osteochondromatosis of the hip.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 2456-2464
- Modified complete synovectomy prevents recurrence in synovial chondromatosis of the hip.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 451: 195-200
- Primary synovial chondromatosis mimicking medial meniscal tear in a young man.Arthroscopy. 2006; 22: 803.e1-3
- Efficacy of hip arthroscopy in the management of synovial chondromatosis.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 126S-131S
- Radiographic findings of femoroacetabular impingement in national football league combine athletes undergoing radiographs for previous hip or groin pain.Arthroscopy. 2012; 28: 1396-1403
- Sport injuries: a review of outcomes.Br Med Bull. 2011; 97: 47-80
- Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis.Ann Rheum Dis. 1957; 16: 494-502
- Arthroscopic management of labral tears in the hip: A systematic review of the literature.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007; 455: 88-92
- The etiology of chondromalacia patellae.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1961; 43: 752-757
- Synovial chondromatosis and chondrosarcoma. A study of the relationship between these two diseases.Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1996; 82 (in French): 216-224
- Chondrosarcoma secondary to synovial chondromatosis. Report of two cases and a review of the literature.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1997; 116: 307-311
- Scintigraphic presentation of hip joint synovial chondromatosis.Eur J Nucl Med. 1988; 14: 411-413
- Synovial chondromatosis of the hip: A case report and clinicopathologic study.Acta Orthop Belg. 2004; 70: 182-188
- Arthroscopic management of chondromatosis of the hip joint.Arthroscopy. 1988; 4: 55-56
- Arthroscopic surgery for synovial chondromatosis of the hip.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1989; 71: 198-199
- Generalized synovial chondromatosis of the knee: Comparison of removal of the loose bodies alone with arthroscopic synovectomy.Arthroscopy. 1994; 10: 166-170
- Acetabular rim lesions: Arthroscopic assessment and clinical relevance.Int Orthop. 2012; 36: 2235-2241
- Operative hip arthroscopy.Ed 2. Springer, New York2005
- Open surgical dislocation versus arthroscopy for femoroacetabular impingement: A comparison of clinical outcomes.Arthroscopy. 2011; 27: 270-278
- Comparative systematic review of the open dislocation, mini-open, and arthroscopic surgeries for femoroacetabular impingement.Arthroscopy. 2011; 27: 252-269
Published online: January 22, 2013
Accepted: October 16, 2012
Received: March 7, 2012
The authors report that they have no conflicts of interest in the authorship and publication of this article.
© 2013 Arthroscopy Association of North America. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.