Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The social transformation of American medicine.Basic Books, New York1984
- Evidence-based medicine: What it is and what it isn’t.BMJ. 1996; 312: 71-77
- Does every question need a Level I answer? Pragmatic and ethical considerations of clinical practice guidelines commentary on AAOS clinical practice guidelines for rotator cuff.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: e13
- Introducing levels of evidence to the journal.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85: 1-3
- Trials in surgery.Br J Surg. 2004; 91: 6-16
- Developing a placebo-controlled trial in surgery: Issues of design, acceptability and feasibility.Trials. 2011; 12: 50-62
- Evidence-based medicine and the law: The courts confront clinical practice guidelines.J Health Polit Policy Law. 2001; 26: 327-368
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Optimizing the management of rotator cuff problems: Guideline and evidence report. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2010. Available from: http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/RCP_guideline.pdf. Accessed May 14, 2012.
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Arthroscopic femoroacetabular surgery for hip impingement syndrome. Interventional procedure guidance No. 408. Available from: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/IPG408. Published September 2011. Accessed December 23, 2012.
Washington Health State Authority. Osteochondral allograft/autograft transplantation health technology assessment. Available from: http://www.hta.hca.wa.gov/documents/oats_final_report.pdf. Published October 17, 2011. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- Assessing the appropriateness of care: Its time has come.JAMA. 2009; 302: 997-998
- ACCF/SCAI/STS/AATS/AHA/ASNC 2009 appropriateness criteria for coronary revascularization: A report by the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriateness Critical Task Force, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American Association for Thoracic Surgery, American Heart Association, and the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 53: 530-553
- ACCF/SCAI/STS/AATS/AHA/ASNC/HFSA/SCCT 2012 appropriate use criteria for coronary revascularization focused update: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American Association for Thoracic Surgery, American Heart Association, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, and the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012; 143: 780-803
Stanton T. Coming soon: Appropriate use criteria: Follow-ups to CPGs focus on clinical application. AAOS Now 2011. Available from: http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/aug11/research2.asp. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- AAOS rotator cuff clinical practice guideline misses the mark.Arthroscopy. 2012; 28: 589-592
- Equipoise and the ethics of clinical research.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 141-145
- Ethical issues in surgical research.Can J Surg. 2010; 53: 133-136
The authors report the following potential conflict of interest or source of funding in relation to this article: Advocacy for Improvement in Mobility, a nonprofit corporation chartered to ensure patient access to musculoskeletal care. RTI Health Solutions assisted in the writing of the manuscript. DePuy Mitek.