Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
- Elongation of arthroscopically tied knots.Am J Sports Med. 1997; 25: 113-117
- Arthroscopic suture material and knot type: An updated biomechanical analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2009; 37: 1578-1585
- Knot strength varies widely among expert arthroscopists.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1978-1984
- Evaluation of 5 knots and 2 suture materials for arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: Very strong sutures can still slip.Arthroscopy. 2006; 22: 38-43
Baums MH, Sachs C, Kostuj T, Schmidt-Horlohé K, Schultz W, Klinger HM. Mechanical testing of different knot types using high-performance suture material. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc in press, available online 13 October, 2013. doi:10.1007/s00167-013-2711-9.
- Cyclic testing of arthroscopic knot security.Arthroscopy. 2004; 20: 62-68
- Security of knots tied with Ethibond, Fiberwire, Orthocord, or Ultrabraid.Am J Sports Med. 2008; 36: 2407-2414
- Comparison and performance characteristics of 3 different knots when tied with 2 suture materials used for shoulder arthroscopy.Arthroscopy. 2006; 22: 614.e1-614.e2
- Shortcuts in arthroscopic knot tying: Do they affect knot and loop security?.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 1572-1577
- Initial loop and knot security of arthroscopic knots using high-strength sutures.Arthroscopy. 2007; 23: 884-888
- Video-assisted surgery represents more than a loss of three-dimensional vision.Am J Surg. 2005; 189: 76-80
- Virtual reality simulation for the operating room: Proficiency-based training as a paradigm shift in surgical skills training.Ann Surg. 2005; 241: 364-372
- Fundamentals of surgical simulation; principles & practices.Springer Verlag, London2011
Department of Health. A framework for technology enhanced learning. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_130924. Published 2011.
Angelo RL, Ryu RKN, Pedowitz RA, et al. A proficiency-based progression training curriculum coupled with a model simulator results in the acquisition of a superior arthroscopic Bankart skill set. Arthroscopy 2015;31:1854-1871.
- Optimization of stacked half-hitch knots for arthroscopic surgery.Arthroscopy. 2001; 17: 752-759
- Arthroscopic knots: Determining the optimal balance of loop security and knot security.Arthroscopy. 2004; 20: 489-502
- Knot security in simple sliding knots and its relationship to rotator cuff repair: How secure must the knot be?.Arthroscopy. 2000; 16: 202-207
- Current and future use of surgical skills training laboratories in orthopaedic resident education: A national survey.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: e4
- Motor skills training in orthopaedic surgery: A paradigm shift toward a simulation-based educational curriculum.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012; 20: 407-409
- A review of the role of simulation in developing and accessing orthopaedic surgical skills.Iowa Orthop J. 2014; 34: 181-189
- Whither minimal access surgery: Tribulations and expectations.Am J Surg. 1995; 169: 9-19
- Maintaining excellence: Deliberate practice and elite performance in young and older pianists.J Exp Psychol Gen. 1996; 125: 331-359
- Evaluation of tensiometric assessment as a measure of skill degradation.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012; 173: 97-101
- Assessment of surgical trainees’ quality of knot-tying.J Surg Educ. 2013; 70: 48-54
- Visual force feedback improves knot-tying security.J Surg Educ. 2014; 71: 133-141
- A better way to teach knot tying: A randomized controlled trial comparing the kinesthetic and traditional methods.Am J Surg. 2014; 208: 690-694
- Video self-assessment of basic suturing and knot tying skills by novice trainees.J Surg Educ. 2013; 70: 279-283
- Development, validation, and implementation of a cost-effective intermediate-level proficiency-based knot-tying and suturing curriculum for surgery residents.J Surg Educ. 2013; 70: 193-199
- Influence of visual force feedback on tissue handling in minimally invasive surgery.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 1766-1773
- Open knot-tying skills: Resident skills assessed.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2013; 39: 1030-1036
- Strength of sliding knots in multifilament resorbable suture materials.Gynecol Surg. 2012; 9: 433-437
- Systematic instruction of arthroscopic knot tying with the ArK Trainer: An objective evaluation tool.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015; 23: 912-918
- Construct validity testing of the Arthroscopic Knot Trainer (ArK).Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015; 23: 906-911
- Committee on the Governance and Financing of Graduate Medical Education Board on Health Care Services Institute of Medicine Eden J. Berwick D. Wilensky G. Graduate medical education that meets the nation’s health needs. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2014
- Innovation in medical education.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 794-795
The authors report the following potential conflict of interest or source of funding: R.A.P. receives support from Virtamed. R.L.A. receives support from DePuy Mitek. R.K.N.R. receives support from MedBridge, Mitek, and Rotation Medical.