Level of Evidence
- Cartilage injuries: a review of 31516 knee arthroscopies.Arthroscopy. 1997; 13: 456-460
- Use of a validated algorithm to judge the appropriateness of total knee arthroplasty in the United States: a multicenter longitudinal cohort study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014; 66: 2134-2143
- AAOS clinical practice guidelines. Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: evidence-based guideline, 2d ed.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013; 21: 577-579
- Platelet-rich plasma application in chondrogenesis.Adv Biomed Res. 2014; 3: 138
- The anti-inflammatory and matrix restorative mechanisms of platelet-rich plasma in osteoarthritis.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 35-40
- The role of platelets in the treatment of Achilles tendon injuries.J Orthop Res. 2013; 31: 111-118
- Platelet-rich plasma in rotator cuff repair: a prospective randomized study.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2446-2454
- Platelet-rich plasma as a treatment for patellar tendinopathy. A double-blind, randomized controlled trial.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 610-618
- Platelet-rich plasma injections for the treatment of hamstring injuries: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2410-2418
- Anti-inflammatory effect of platelet-rich plasma on nucleus pulposus cells with response of TNF-α and IL-1.J Orthop Res. 2014; 32: 551-556
- Platelet-rich plasma releasate inhibits inflammatory processes in osteoarthritic chondrocytes.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 2362-2370
- Molecular basis of anti-inflammatory action of platelet-rich plasma on human chondrocytes: mechanisms of NF-kappa B inhibition via HGF.J Cell Physiol. 2010; 225: 757-766
- Applications of platelet-rich plasma in musculoskeletal and sports medicine: an evidence-based approach.PM&R. 2011; 3: 226-250
- Efficacy of autologous platelet-rich plasma use for orthopaedic indications: a meta-analysis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 298-307
- Platelet intra-articular injection versus hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation as treatments for cartilage pathology: from early degenerations to osteoarthritis.Arthroscopy. 2011; 27: 1490-1501
- Hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation and osteoarthritis: current uses and future directions.Am J Sports Med. 2009; 37: 1636-1644
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA Statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000097
Howick J, Chalmers I, Glasziou P, et al. The 2011 Oxford CEBM Evidence Levels of Evidence (Introductory Document). Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine. Available at: http://www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=5653. Accessed June 1, 2015.
- How to write a systematic review.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2761-2768
- Best evidence synthesis: an intelligent alternative to metaanalysis.J Clin Epidemiol. 1995; 48: 9-18
- Updated method guidelines for systematic reviews in the cochrane collaboration back review group.Spine. 2003; 28: 1290-1299
Owens DK, Lohr KN, Atkins D, et al. Grading the strength of a body of evidence when comparing medical interventions. In: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Methods Guide for Comparative Effectiveness Reviews (posted July 2009). Rockville, MD. Available at: http://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/healthInfo.cfm?infotype=rr&ProcessID=60. Accessed June 1, 2015.
- Quality of prospective controlled randomized trials. analysis of trials of treatment for lateral epicondylitis as an example.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 1693-1699
AOSSM Outcomes Task Force, Irrgang J. Summary of clinical outcomes measure for sports-related knee injuries. Available at: http://www.sportsmed.org/uploadedFiles/Content2/Research/Research_Resources/SummaryReport_June%2029%202012.pdf. Accessed March 1, 2015.
- Platelet-rich plasma: the PAW classification system.J Arthroscopy Related Surg. 2012; 28: 998-1009
- Strength of recommendation taxonomy (SORT): a patient-centered approach to grading evidence in the medical literature.Am Fam Physician. 2004; 69: 549-557
- Comparison between hyaluronic acid and platelet-rich plasma, intra-articular infiltration in the treatment of gonarthrosis.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 2822-2827
- Platelet-rich plasma vs hyaluronic acid to treat knee degenerative pathology: study design and preliminary results of a randomized controlled trial.BMC Musculoskel Disord. 2012; 13: 229
- Treatment with platelet-rich plasma is more effective than placebo for knee osteoarthritis: a prospective, double-blind, randomized trial.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 356-364
- A randomized clinical trial evaluating plasma rich in growth factors (PRGF-Endoret) versus hyaluronic acid in the short-term treatment of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.J Arthroscopy Related Surg. 2012; 28: 1070-1078
- Comparison of intra-articular injections of plasma rich in growth factors (PRGF-Endoret) versus durolane hyaluronic acid in the treatment of patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.J Arthroscopy Related Surg. 2013; 29: 1635-1643
- Knee osteoarthritis injection choices: platelet-rich plasma (PRP) versus hyaluronic acid (a one-year randomized clinical trial).Clin Med Insights: Arthritis Musculoskel Disord. 2015; 8: 1-8
- Platelet-rich plasma treatment in symptomatic patients with knee osteoarthritis: preliminary results in a group of active patients.Sports Health. 2012; 4: 162-172
- Wound healing in the PU.1 null mouse: tissue repair is not dependent on inflammatory cells.Curr Biol. 2003; 13: 1122-1128
- Comparison of the acute inflammatory response of two commercial platelet-rich plasma systems in healthy rabbit tendons.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 1274-1281
- The effect of platelet-rich plasma formulations and blood products on human synoviocytes: implications for intra-articular injury and therapy.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1204-1210
Riboh JC, Saltzman BM, Yanke AB, Fortier L, Cole BJ. Effect of leukocyte concentration on the efficacy of platelet rich plasma on the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Am J Sports Med. April 29, 2015; [E-pub ahead of print].
See commentary on page 506
The authors report the following potential conflicts of interest or sources of funding: P.C.M. is on the Speaker's Bureau/Paid Presentation of Genzyme; receives research support from DePuy, a Johnson & Johnson Company, Arthrex, and Zimmer; and is on the editorial/governing board of the Journal of Knee Surgery and Orthobullets.com. K.E.V. receives IP royalties from Solana and is a paid consultant for Solana, Stock, and Wright Medical. J.D.H. is on the editorial board of Arthroscopy, the Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, and Frontiers in Surgery and receives publication royalties from SLACK.