Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The primary cost drivers of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair surgery: A cost-minimization analysis of 40,618 cases.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2019; 28: 1977-1982
- Analysis of direct costs of outpatient arthroscopic rotator cuff repair.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2016; 45: E7-E11
- Disparities in cost and access by caseload for arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: An analysis of 18,616 cases.Orthop J Sports Med. 2019; 7 (2325967119850503)
- National trends in rotator cuff repair.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 227-233
- Healthcare spending: Plenty of blame to go around.Am Health Drug Benefits. 2016; 9: 445-447
- National and surgical health care expenditures, 2005-2025.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 195-200
- Medical spending differences in the United States and Canada: The role of prices, procedures, and administrative expenses.Inquiry. 2010; 47: 124-134
- Bundle payment for musculoskeletal care: Current evidence (part 1).Orthop Clin North Am. 2018; 49: 135-146
- Improving value in musculoskeletal care delivery: AOA critical issues.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 769-774
- A cost analysis of single-row versus double-row and suture bridge rotator cuff repair methods.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015; 23: 487-493
- Direct cost analysis of outpatient arthroscopic rotator cuff repair in medicare and non-Medicare populations.Orthop J Sports Med. 2016; 4 (2325967116668829)
- Functional outcomes and health-related quality of life after surgical repair of full-thickness rotator cuff tears using a mini-open technique: A concise 10-year follow-up of a previous report.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 2794-2799
- Rotator cuff repair: An analysis of utility scores and cost-effectiveness.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007; 16: 181-187
- The societal and economic value of rotator cuff repair.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 1993-2000
- Factors affecting cost, outcomes, and tendon healing after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 1393-1400
- Surgeon reimbursement unchanged as hospital charges and reimbursements increase for total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 35: 605-612
- Risk adjustment performance of Charlson and Elixhauser comorbidities in ICD-9 and ICD-10 administrative databases.BMC Health Serv Res. 2008; 8: 12
- Surgeon reimbursement relative to hospital payments for spinal fusion: Trends from 10-year Medicare analysis.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2018; 43: 720-731
- The growing executive-physician wage gap in major US nonprofit hospitals and burden of nonclinical workers on the US healthcare system.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2018; 476: 1910-1919
- A comparison of hospital administrative costs in eight nations: US costs exceed all others by far.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1586-1594
- CEO compensation and hospital financial performance.Med Care Res Rev. 2009; 66: 725-738
- Trends in Medicare reimbursement for orthopedic procedures: 2000 to 2016.Orthopedics. 2018; 41: 95-102
- Medicare Fee-for-Service 2012 Improper Payments Report. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Baltimore, MD2012
The authors report the following potential conflicts of interest or sources of funding: M.D.L. has a family member with the following disclosures: American Journal of Sports Medicine: editorial or governing board; American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine: board or committee member; Arthrex: IP royalties, paid consultant; Arthroscopy Association of North America: board or committee member; International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: board or committee member; JEO: editorial or governing board; Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy: editorial or governing board; Linvatec: paid consultant; Ossur: IP royalties, paid consultant; Smith & Nephew: IP royalties, paid consultant, paid presenter or speaker, research support; and Thieme: publishing royalties, financial or material support. S.F.B. reports board membership with the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, ISAKOS, MidAtlantic Shoulder and Elbow Society, OJSM, and Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery; consultancy for Arthrex, Biomet, DePuy, Exactech, and Zimmer; payment for lectures including service on speakers bureaus including Arthrex, Biomet, Exactech, and Zimmer; royalties from Zimmer, Springer, Exactech, and Biomet. A.J.K. reports board membership with American Journal of Sports Medicine, Minnesota Orthopedic Society, Musculoskeletal Transplantation Foundation, International Cartilage Repair Society, and ISAKOS; consultancy for Vericel, Arthrex, and JRF Ortho; payment for lectures including service on speakers bureaus from Arthrex; stock/stock options with Responsive Arthroscopy LLC; and research support from Aesculap/B Braun, Arthritis Foundation, Ceterix, Exactech, Gemini Medical, and Histogenics. B.C.W. reports board membership with the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons; payment for lectures including service on speakers’ bureaus from Arthrex; travel and lodging expenses from Supreme Orthopedics and Arthrex’ research support from Biomet and Integra LifeScience; and education from Supreme Orthopedics. This study was partially funded by the following: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases for the Musculoskeletal Research Training Program (T32AR56950). Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes Health. Full ICMJE author disclosure forms are available for this article online, as supplementary material.
Primary location where this investigation was performed: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN.