Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence of medial ulnar collateral ligament surgery in 6135 current professional baseball players: A 2018 update.Orthop J Sport Med. 2019; 7
- Epidemiology of ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction in major and minor league baseball pitchers: Comprehensive report of 1429 cases.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018; 27: 871-878
- Trends in medial ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction in the United States: A retrospective review of a large private-payer database from 2007 to 2011.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 1770-1774
- Disproportionate trends in ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction: Projections through 2025 and a literature review.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016; 25: 1005-1012
- Development of a distance-based interval throwing program for little league-aged athletes.Am J Sports Med. 1996; 24: 594-602
- Data-based interval throwing programs for baseball players.Sports Health. 2009; 1: 145-153
- Data-based interval throwing programs for little league, high school, college, and professional baseball pitchers.Sports Med Arthrosc. 2001; 9: 24-34
- Distance based criteria interval throwing program.J Sport Rehabil. 1992; 1: 326-336
- Interval sport programs: Guidelines for baseball, tennis, and golf.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2002; 32: 293-298
- Defining the long-toss: A professional baseball epidemiological study.Orthop J Sport Med. 2017; 5
- USA Baseball medical and safety advisory committee’s youth baseball position statement.http://mlb.mlb.com/usa_baseball/article.jsp?story=medsafety11Date accessed: June 13, 2020
- Risk-prone pitching activities and injuries in youth baseball: Findings from a national sample.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1456-1463
- Exceeding pitch count recommendations in little league baseball increases the chance of requiring Tommy John surgery as a professional baseball pitcher.Orthop J Sport Med. 2017; 5
- Prevention of elbow injuries in youth baseball pitchers.Sports Health. 2012; 4: 419-424
- The relationship of throwing arm mechanics and elbow varus torque: Within-subject variation for professional baseball pitchers across 82,000 throws.Am J Sports Med. 2017; 45: 3030-3035
- Assessment of elbow torque and other parameters during the pitching motion: Comparison of fastball, curveball, and change-up.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 816-822
- USA Baseball pitch count limits and required rest recommendations.https://www.mlb.com/pitch-smart/pitching-guidelinesDate accessed: June 13, 2020
- Data-based interval throwing programs for baseball position players from age 13 to college level.J Sport Rehabil. 2001; 10: 267-286
- Biomechanical comparison of the interval throwing program and baseball pitching: Upper extremity loads in training and rehabilitation.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1226-1232
- Distance-based throwing programs for baseball players from little league to high school.Pediatr Phys Ther. 2019; 31: 297-300
- Biomechanical comparison of baseball pitching and long-toss: Implications for training and rehabilitation.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011; 41: 296-303
See commentary on page 2647
The authors report the following potential conflicts of interest or sources of funding: J.S.D. reports personal fees and other from Arthrex, personal fees from Linvatec, Merck Sharp ∗ Dohme, Trice Medical, Wright Medical Technology, and Conmed, and nonfinancial support from Horizon Pharma , outside the submitted work. ICMJE author disclosure forms are available for this article online, as supplementary material.
This study was a poster at the combined AANA/American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Meeting.