Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
NHE Fact Sheet | CMS. Accessed March 26, 2022. https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/NHE-Fact-Sheet
Orthopedic surgery spending increased 44 percent since 2010. Healthcare Finance News. Accessed January 30, 2021. https://www.healthcarefinancenews.com/news/orthopedic-surgery-spending-increased-44-percent-2010
- Understanding Value-based Reimbursement Models and Trends in Orthopaedic Health Policy: An Introduction to the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) of 2015.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2016; 24: e136-e147https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-16-00283
- Medicare reimbursement and orthopedic surgery: past, present, and future.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017; 10: 224-232https://doi.org/10.1007/s12178-017-9406-7
- Declining Trend in Medicare Physician Reimbursements for Hand Surgery From 2002 to 2018.J Hand Surg. 2020; 45: 1003-1011https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2020.08.010
- Trends in Physician Reimbursement for Spinal Procedures Since 2010.Spine. 2018; 43: 1074-1079https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000002516
- Medicare Reimbursement for Hip and Knee Arthroplasty From 2000 to 2019: An Unsustainable Trend.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 35: 1174-1178https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2019.12.008
- Trends in Medicare Reimbursement for Orthopedic Procedures: 2000 to 2016.Orthopedics. 2018; 41: 95-102https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20180226-04
- Graduates of Orthopaedic Residency Training Are Increasingly Subspecialized: A Review of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Part II Database.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 869-875https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.N.00995
Physician Fee Schedule Look-Up Tool | CMS. Accessed January 30, 2021. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/PFSlookup
Hospital Outpatient PPS | CMS. Accessed January 30, 2021. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/HospitalOutpatientPPS/index?redirect=/HospitalOutpatientPPS
Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Payment | CMS. Accessed January 30, 2021. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/ASCPayment
Acute Inpatient PPS | CMS. Accessed January 30, 2021. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS
- Declining trends in Medicare physician reimbursements for shoulder surgery from 2002 to 2018.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020; 29: e451-e461https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2020.02.005
- Inflation-Adjusted Medicare Reimbursement Has Decreased for Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Procedures: Analysis From 2000 to 2020.Orthop J Sports Med. 2022; 1023259671211073720https://doi.org/10.1177/23259671211073722
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: No funding was used for this project.
Financial Disclosures: No author associated with this paper has disclosed any potential or pertinent conflicts, which may be perceived to have impending conflict with this work.