Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Arthroscopy
Nunley, R.M., H. Prather, D. Hunt, P.L. Schoenecker, and J.C. Clohisy, Clinical presentation of symptomatic acetabular dysplasia in skeletally mature patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2011. 93 Suppl 2: p. 17-21.
Harris, M.D., M.C. Shepherd, K. Song, et al., The biomechanical disadvantage of dysplastic hips. J Orthop Res, 2022. 40(6): p. 1387-1396.
Michaeli, D.A., S.B. Murphy, and J.A. Hipp, Comparison of predicted and measured contact pressures in normal and dysplastic hips. Med Eng Phys, 1997. 19(2): p. 180-6.
- The prognosis in untreated dysplasia of the hip. A study of radiographic factors that predict the outcome.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995; 77: 985-989
- Cam Deformity and Acetabular Dysplasia as Risk Factors for Hip Osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017; 69: 86-93
- The John Charnley Award: Redefining the Natural History of Osteoarthritis in Patients With Hip Dysplasia and Impingement.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 336-350
- A new periacetabular osteotomy for the treatment of hip dysplasias. Technique and preliminary results.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1988; : 26-36
- Patient-Reported Outcomes of Periacetabular Osteotomy from the Prospective ANCHOR Cohort Study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017; 99: 33-41
- One-third of Hips After Periacetabular Osteotomy Survive 30 Years With Good Clinical Results, No Progression of Arthritis, or Conversion to THA.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 1154-1168
- Natural History of the Dysplastic Hip Following Modern Periacetabular Osteotomy.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 932-938
- Concomitant Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy.Arthroscopy. 2015; 31: 2199-2206
- Outcomes of Hip Arthroscopy With Concomitant Periacetabular Osteotomy, Minimum 5-Year Follow-Up.Arthroscopy. 2019; 35: 826-834
- The Addition of Hip Arthroscopy to Periacetabular Osteotomy Does Not Increase Complication Rates: A Prospective Case Series.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 543-551
- Arthroscopic disease classification and interventions as an adjunct in the treatment of acetabular dysplasia.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 72s-78s
- Intraarticular findings in symptomatic developmental dysplasia of the hip.J Pediatr Orthop. 2009; 29: 9-13
- Concomitant Arthroscopy With Labral Reconstruction and Periacetabular Osteotomy for Hip Dysplasia.Arthrosc Tech. 2018; 7: e1141-e1147
- What Are the Results of Surgical Treatment of Hip Dysplasia With Concomitant Cam Deformity?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 1128-1137
- Combined hip arthroscopy and periacetabular osteotomy: indications, advantages, technique, and complications.Arthrosc Tech. 2014; 3: e95-e100
- Combined Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy (PAO): Technical Focus on Arthroscopically Elevating the Iliocapsularis and Performing the Open PAO.Arthrosc Tech. 2021; 10: e2293-e2302
- Treatment of Concomitant Intra-articular Pathology and Hip Dysplasia With Combined Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy Using a Single Radiolucent Traction Table Attachment Without a Perineal Post.Arthrosc Tech. 2022; 11: e1843-e1849
- What Mid-term Patient-reported Outcome Measure Scores, Reoperations, and Complications Are Associated with Concurrent Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy to Treat Dysplasia with Associated Intraarticular Abnormalities?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2021; 479: 1068-1077
- Athletes Undergoing Concomitant Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy Demonstrate Greater Than 80% Return-to-Sport Rate at 2-Year Minimum Follow-Up.Arthroscopy. 2022; 38: 2649-2658
- Hip Arthroscopy Prior to Periacetabular Osteotomy Does Not Increase Operative Time or Complications: A Single Center Experience.Iowa Orthop J. 2021; 41: 127-131
Guss, M. and T. Youm, Accelerated Degenerative Joint Disease After Staged Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy in a Patient with Hip Dysplasia. Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013), 2017. 75(3): p. 220-224.
- Studies on Dysplastic Acetabula and Congenital Subluxation of the Hip Joint with Special Reference to the Complication of Osteo-Arthritis.Journal of the American Medical Association. 1940; 115: 81
- Periacetabular Osteotomy Improves Pain and Function in Patients With Lateral Center-edge Angle Between 18° and 25°, but Are These Hips Really Borderline Dysplastic?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019; 477: 1145-1153
Clohisy, J.C., J.C. Carlisle, P.E. Beaulé, et al., A systematic approach to the plain radiographic evaluation of the young adult hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2008. 90 Suppl 4(Suppl 4): p. 47-66.
- Hypermobility, age 40 years or older and BMI >30 kg m(-2) increase the risk of complications following peri-acetabular osteotomy.J Hip Preserv Surg. 2020; 7: 511-517
- Periacetabular osteotomy: a systematic literature review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 2041-2052
- Normal values of Wiberg's lateral center-edge angle and Lequesne's acetabular index--a coxometric update.Skeletal Radiol. 2012; 41: 1273-1278
- The nonarthritic hip score: reliable and validated.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; : 75-83
- Evidence of validity for the hip outcome score in hip arthroscopy.Arthroscopy. 2007; 23: 822-826
- Psychometric properties of patient-reported outcome measures for hip arthroscopic surgery.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 2065-2073
- The Minimal Clinical Important Difference (MCID) And Patient Acceptable Symptomatic State (PASS) For The Modified Harris Hip Score And Hip Outcome Score Among Patients Undergoing Surgical Treatment For Femoroacetabular Impingement.Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014; 2: 1
- The Patient Acceptable Symptomatic State for the Modified Harris Hip Score and Hip Outcome Score Among Patients Undergoing Surgical Treatment for Femoroacetabular Impingement.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 1844-1849
- Determining Clinically Meaningful Thresholds for the Nonarthritic Hip Score in Patients Undergoing Arthroscopy for Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome.Arthroscopy. 2021; 37: 3113-3121
- How long is too long? The effect of the duration of anaesthesia on the incidence of non-urological complications after surgery.BJU Int. 2008; 102: 301-304
- Predictors of perioperative complications in head and neck patients.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002; 128: 505-511
- Anesthesia Duration as an Independent Risk Factor for Early Postoperative Complications in Adults Undergoing Elective ACDF.Global Spine J. 2017; 7: 727-734
- Anesthesia duration as an independent risk factor for postoperative complications in free flap surgery: a review of 1,305 surgical cases.J Reconstr Microsurg. 2014; 30: 217-226
- Arthroscopic Hip Joint Assessment can Impact the Indications for PAO Surgery.Iowa Orthop J. 2019; 39: 149-157
- Hip Dislocation or Subluxation After Hip Arthroscopy: A Systematic Review.Arthroscopy. 2016; 32: 1428-1434
- What factors predict failure 4 to 12 years after periacetabular osteotomy?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012; 470: 2978-2987
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This work was presented as an abstract at the ISHA 2021 meeting and AAOS 2022 meeting
Caitlin A Orner, M.D. [email protected],
Brittany E Haws, M.D. [email protected]
John Reuter, BS. [email protected],
Raymond Kenney, M.D. [email protected],
P Christopher Cook, M.D. [email protected],
Brian D Giordano, M.D. [email protected]
Conflict of Interest Statement:
Brian D. Giordano is an Arthrex consultant and receives royalties and paid talks. However, this is not related to the submitted research.
Ethical Review Committee Statement:
This study was approved by the University of Rochester Institutional Review Board
This research was completed at the University of Rochester